Saturday, 19 September 2015

Week Eight: Flight Attendant Hats

Here are some ideas for the flight attendant caps. We have decided to either sew them or make them from paper.


We made a paper mockup of the hat using a set of origami instructions. It was easy and cheap to make, but it was very hard to keep it sitting on someones head, so we decided that it would be smarter to make it from fabric.






I decided that the best material to make the hats from would be felt as it doesn't fray )and therefore the edges down need to be finished) and it will hold its shape really well. I went to Made On Marion for the materials and I also bought some gold ribbon for the trim. All up this came to a cost of $24.60 meaning that each hat cost $6.15 each. There is enough fabric left over to make Tapiwa a pilots hat as well if we decide to do it.


Here are the shapes I cut out for the tops of the hats using a bowl for the template as i thought that it would be a really good size. 
I used hot glue to create the hats as it was a fast and easy way to do it that didn't require me pinning or sewing anything which is quite time consuming. Here is the first finished hat!


Here are the final 4 flight attendant caps! They came out really good, and are a good fit for peoples heads. They may need a few bobby pins to help them stay on throughout the whole of the market though. 
If we had a logo we could make or draw a little pin on to the hats too like the example ones. I think that it would really benefit the look of the hats to give them that final touch and really make them look flight attendant like. 

We have also decided to make a pilot hat for Tapiwa to wear on the day. I got my inspiration from images like this:


This is the original hat, and we decided that it looked really plain, so i created a little badge from ribbon and tinfoil to go on the front.




SH

No comments:

Post a Comment