Thursday, 17 September 2015

Week Eight: Perforating Boarding Pass

We want the boarding pass to have a tear off area that people will be able to put into a box to go in the draw for a prize at the end of the market. In order for this tear off part to be usable and realistic, the boarding pass will need to be perforated. We decided that a really good way to achieve the easy tear perforation would be to sew a line into the paper with the sewing machine (with no thread). I tested out multiple different ways of stitching to find the best one.



I initially thought that turning off the feeder that pushes the fabric through would be the smarter idea, but it meant that the holes were super uneven and wonky. I then turned on the feeder and I didn't even have to hold onto the paper as it went through the machine in a perfectly straight line. I also tested out a range of stitch sizes.


I tried ripping the perforations. Stitch size 1 ripped super easily, almost too easily for something that will be put into peoples pockets during the market. We don't want the tab to fall off by its self. Stitch size 1.5 was perfect as it ripped easily but wasn't to delicate to withstand being put into a packet. Size 2 and three were too spaced out as when I tried to rip them they ended up veering off and ripping into the paper.

Using the sewing machine on stitch size 1.5 is going to be the best way to perforate the passports.

SH


No comments:

Post a Comment